Saturday, June 29, 2013

Sermon: Wanna' Be Disciples

"Wanna' Be Disciples"
Luke 9:51-62

Jesus was on his way to Jerusalem. This was really significant the way the author of Luke saw it. The author knew it was a signal that things were going to be different from then on. Jesus was at a crossroad - he could continue comfortably building his fame out in the hinterlands of Galilee or he could embark on a path that would surely create a stir.
There's no question that Jesus knew he faced a confrontation with the religious authorities once he arrived in Jerusalem. He had to know that things were going to get really messy once he got to the holy city - perhaps even that blood would be shed and that it was probably going to be his own.

And yet, "he set his face toward Jerusalem." And on the way, he held some open-air, experiential, discipleship 101 seminars. We sense that his hope was to better prepare his "wanna' be" followers to take over the reins of the movement. Based on some of the things that happened on the way and after his arrival, it's amazing the movement survived at all.

Now, as if heading to Jerusalem itself wasn't suggestive enough of trouble ahead, Jesus  charted a course that invited even further potential conflict. True, passing through Samaria was the most direct route between Galilee and Jerusalem, but most Jews avoided the shortcut through Samaritan areas as much as possible because they knew they were not wanted there. In fact, Samaritans were known to cause physical harm to those who ventured through. Despite how good Jesus made the Samaritans look a little later on his journey you can be sure they weren't interested in providing even a little hospitality for someone heading for Jerusalem. And they didn't disappoint.

James and John were offended and thought the occasion called for a little, uh, righteous indignation - you know, a little real fire from on high to show the Samaritans with whom they were dealing. Their take on the situation seems to have been: "what's the death of a few Samaritans when it is the Lord's comfort and acceptance that is at stake?"

Jesus' response is lesson # 1 from the Discipleship 101 manual: "No! That's not the way we're going to handle it when people disagree with us - when they don't see things the way we see them. There will be no retaliation when we're made fun of because of our stances around social issues - there'll be no taking of human life when persons of other faiths offer their points of view - there'll be no pointing of fingers when people are struggling as a result of their sins. Following me is going to take a thick skin - a more tolerant attitude toward those who don't agree with you."

I'm a United Methodist christian - perhaps for some reasons open to challenge, but for sure also because of some tenets that resonate with my personality and spiritual life experiences. One of those is that it is important to examine our human tendencies toward exclusive knowledge or faith. One of the most notable religious leaders of our tradition, John Wesley, set the tone for this way of dealing with differences when he wrote: "I have no more right to object to a man for holding a different opinion from mine than I have to differ with a man because he wears a wig and I wear my own hair; but if he takes his wig off and shakes the powder in my face, I shall consider it my duty to get quit of him as soon as possible."

Another place he emphasized it with these words: "The thing which I resolved to use every possible method of preventing was a narrowness of spirit, a party zeal, a being straitened in our own bowels - that miserable bigotry which makes many so unready to believe that there is any work of God but among themselves." When his nephew, Samuel, the son of his brother, Charles, entered the Roman Catholic Church, John Wesley wrote him: "Whether in this church or that I care not. You may be saved in either or damned in either; but I fear you are not born again." That was an especially liberal position in Wesley's day.

The invitation to Holy Communion offered by UM pastors is influenced by this understanding. I usually said something like this: "This table is an open table - all are welcome to partake of the elements of this holy meal. You do not have to be a member of this church or any church to receive. All that is necessary is for you to desire the grace of God this sacrament proclaims is possible for all to receive." Our avowed pluralism and desire to be tolerant of those who differ from is probably one of the most vital tenets or attitudes we bring to the ecumenical dialogue.

I cannot tell you how much I detest hearing about this group or that group starting another denomination because they could not continue to worship with persons who thought or believed differently than they did. The conviction that our beliefs or our methods alone are correct has been the cause of more tragedy and distress in the church and world than almost any other thing.

One final comment about being tolerant: our tolerance must be based on love and not on indifference. We are not to tolerate because we could not care less, but because we look at the other person with the eyes of love rather than the eyes of criticism. When Abraham Lincoln was criticized for being too courteous to his enemies and when he was reminded that it was his duty to destroy them, he gave this wonderful answer: "Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" Even when we believe persons are wrong, we must never regard them as enemies to be destroyed, but as strayed friends to be recovered with love. We would do well to hear Jesus' teaching on tolerance in our personal lives, in our national government decision-making process as well as in our dealings with those who differ from us religiously.

Well, so Jesus and his disciples continue on their way toward Jerusalem. While on the way to another village Jesus shares with them about some of the difficulties they may face with those considering joining the movement. He does so through his encounters with three would-be followers. I don't think it's too hard to see ourselves in the three wanna' be disciples.

The first wanna’ be boldly proclaimed that he wanted to follow Jesus - he volunteered. It happens sometimes - people get caught up in the excitement of the movement, the Palm Sunday and Easter-like experiences, that they enthusiastically rush to sign on the dotted line. A red flag went off inside Jesus. His response suggests that he sensed this volunteer didn’t have a clue what the future held for those who signed on.  “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” “The cost of following me might mean that you won’t be staying in a Hyatt Regency or even a Motel 6 tonight. It means that you won’t know where you’re going to stay some nights. It means that your ministry might take you beyond where you live. You might have to sleep on a few church floors. You might not be able to shower every day.” “Are you really ready to do without in order to follow me?” “Discipleship is not for the soft or pampered; it involves sacrifice and self-denial.” (1)

We certainly can't accuse Jesus of trying to make following him look easy in order to pad the membership roles. The “Prosperity Gospel,” so popular in some Christian circles, is certainly not something Jesus used to solicit followers. There’s no “Jesus is the solution to your problems, a major means of making your life more pleasant, the way to fix whatever ails you, including your financial woes,” (2) from his lips. There’s no convenience store religion for Jesus – no weekly inoculation against authentic Christianity. There’s a high cost involved for those who choose to follow Jesus according to Jesus.

Another wanna’ be disciple approached Jesus and Jesus said to him, “Follow me.” Apparently Jesus saw some things in this guy that he wanted to cultivate or felt he could use. The man though questioned Jesus’ timing. He couched his reluctance in a request to Jesus that he first be allowed to go and bury his dad.

Now, on the surface that doesn’t sound like an unreasonable request, does it? I mean, what’s a few days to bury a guy’s father? Bible scholars tell us that what they think was really going on here was, the man’s dad wasn’t dead – that he really was making reference to the ancient near east cultural norm that a son had a responsibility to a father as long as the dad lived. The guy was basically putting Jesus off indefinitely.

Jesus saw through the man’s qualified and reluctant response and rejected his request. “Nope, that won’t do. You need to respond today.” Jesus’ rejection of the man’s request wasn’t a sign of a lack of pastoral concern on the part of Jesus. Rather, it was an awareness on Jesus’ part that this was a crucial moment in this man’s life.  “I will follow, but…maybe a little later in my life,” doesn't cut it with Jesus.

Just as some people need to be cautioned not to decide too impulsively, some need to be challenged to get on with it. There comes a time when a person's whole being says, "Yes, the time is now! To put some things off too long is to risk never doing them." Yes, there is a time for taking one's time and thinking out actions and results: like the one who volunteered needed to do. But there is also a time for moving ahead once consequences are considered. Jesus wants us to consider what we are in for, but he does not want us to waste our lives over the matter without ever making up our minds.

The third wanna’ be disciple offered: “I’ll follow you, Lord, but I need to first go say goodbye to my family and friends.” Jesus saw right through this man’s stall tactic as well. He could tell that this man’s problem was that he was concerned about how others in his life would feel about his response. He was concerned about how well he would still fit in with his friends – whether it was going to be worth leaving behind his former life and relationships. Jesus called him on his concerns as well, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.” “Nothing less than your undivided attention and loyalty will do. You can’t plow a straight furrow when you are looking back over your shoulder – when you’re looking at your past.” “I will follow, but…first let me take another look at what I would be giving up – let me make sure everyone around me is O.K. with what I’m going to do” doesn’t cut it with Jesus either.

Luke’s trilogy of wanna-be disciples, of discipleship 101 dropouts, isn’t the only place in the bible where persons sensing themselves being called by God resisted. The bible is full of people with alibis – full of people who came up with some pretty creative, even at times fairly legitimate, excuses for trying to get out of serving God. Elijah said, “Excuse me, Lord, but I’m not pious or pure enough.” Jeremiah resisted with, “Uh, Lord, I’m too young.” And Moses tried over and over to get out of it: “I’m too old.  I’ve earned my retirement.” “I’m not good at public speaking.” “There are many much more qualified than me.” The Lord wouldn’t listen to any of them. It was, “Do what I am asking, what is needed in this time and place, and I’ll provide you with the necessary gifts to do what I need you to do.”  

“O.K., Lord, I’ll follow, but first let me have a little more fun in life.” “O.K., Lord, I’ll follow, but let me first get my children grown or at least a little older.” “Sure, Lord, I’ll follow, but let me get my house paid off and the kids through college.” “Yeah, O.K., I’ll start going to church more often, but let me get a little more used to retirement, my new community, my new schedule.”

One preacher offered that it is time for us to “ban the buts” in the church.  He suggests that once the buts are done, blessings await. (3)

Jacqueline Townsend wrote a piece that she titled “The Confessions of a Reluctant Steward” in which she talks about a time she was ambushed on the way out of church. “Will you do flowers?” she was asked. She writes about her experience:

“I couldn’t figure any graceful way out of this one. It didn’t seem the right moment to point out that I was flat broke in both the time and talent department. I was trapped. I spoke the word so many dare not say: ‘Sure.’

“So I do flowers. You must understand I am not the artistic type. My idea of a festive centerpiece is matching salt and pepper shakers. Botanical knowledge is out of my realm, although I am able to identify a carnation, thanks to cans from contented cows.

“Why couldn’t it have been something easy, like traveling in the belly of a whale? The worst part was knowing my name would show up in the schedule. People would know I was the bi-weekly mishandler of blooms! On the other hand, it was a little flattering to be asked (someone noticed I was here) and thought capable (maybe I could get a book from the library). I vowed to do my best, at least until I could pawn the task off on someone else. My schedule revealed I could squeeze it in if I gave up ironing. It seemed such a small sacrifice for the church.

“As the weeks went by, I found myself looking anew at the world around me. I noticed when the fireweed bloomed. My husband would report, ‘There’s some wonderful fern down by the creek bank.’ We took walks looking for wildflowers. I learned to boldly venture into the cooler at the florist shop in search of lemon leaves and baby’s breath.

“Just this week I made the most amazing discovery – I like doing the flowers. It’s not the arrangements themselves; I’m never quite satisfied. Spending time in the silent church, either alone or with my husband, is so refreshing. I peruse the bulletin board and book table, poke around in the sacristy picking out a vase, talk to God, maybe sing a little. Today, for no reason at all I looked in the fridge, just like when I go to my mom’s. It’s a little homecoming every other Saturday. I don’t even miss the ironing.” (4)

It’s a start – doing flowers for the altar when you don’t feel like you have the skills or interests. But, I hope you know that the cost Jesus is warning will be involved in following him might involve something a little more costly than a little embarrassment here or there – something a little compensating for the learning curve might be able to correct. The cost might be having to put up with smells we know a little soap and deodorant could correct, a lightening of our wallets, a learning Spanish, a singing music a little louder and faster so that others in need of the Gospel can experience it, a socializing with people of a different social class, a teaching Sunday School. The questions we should ask ourselves are ones like: “Is God calling us me to a special, unique, aspect of discipleship?” “Is there something staring me in the face that I need to pay attention to but that I'm creating excuses for not doing it instead?” “Am I guilty of being a wanna’ be disciple?” “Have there been times in my life when I’ve heard the voice of God in my heart or mind call to me and I’ve responded, “I’ll follow, Jesus, but…?” Is it possible that it's time for that response to change?

Let us pray:  Lord, help us to hear you in the midst of the concerns that rise up within us, in the midst of sensing the riskiness in what you are calling us to do. Help us to hear you reassuring us that you are with us.  We want to be your disciples, Lord, help us to act upon our desires and your invitation.  In your name we pray.  Amen.


1    Dr. Brian Bouknight, Collected Sermons, “No Reserves, No Retreats, No Regrets,” (ChristianGlobe Networks, Inc., 2002), 0-000-0000-13.
2    William H. Willimon, Pulpit Resource, “He Set His Face to Jerusalem,” p. 8.
3    David E. Leininger, Collected Sermons, “Ban the ‘Buts’,” (ChristianGlobe Networks, Inc., 2005), 0-000-0000-16.
4    Ibid.

No comments:

Post a Comment