Friday, July 11, 2014

"Influencers"

Well, with the Now reunion scheduled for tomorrow perhaps I should put my head and heart to responding to a question one of my cousins asked me following a recent post on my "Giving Wings to Thoughts" Blog. I write because I don't want to be expected to attempt to converse tomorrow.

The blog post was one concerning influences on my theological and personal development on the issue of ecumenism and homosexuality. I don't intend to rehearse the whole piece here. If you want more details, you can go to the blog and read it in its entirety. Let me summarize here. I don't like labels - when it comes to politics, economics, government structures or religion. In order to allow readers who are compelled to locate themselves someplace on a continuum either to the right or left of me, I will succumb to being as truthful in naming myself as I am able. This is not normally how I prefer to carry on dialogues or preach.

So, here goes. There's little doubt in my mind that the early years of my life - let's say from the time I was able to understand conversations until approximately almost through high school - I considered myself traditional-conservative, bordering on fundamentalism late high school, at least on the right side of the life thinking line about most things. From that rough marking point on a timeline to today I've moved/changed/grown, depending on one's perspective, to much more on the left side at least progressive - liberal about most things.

Second So paragraph, the arena cousin Dave invited me to explore and cousin Mike suggested I do via the Herbert & Helen Now Family Facebook page was "how did grandpa Now influence or not my thinking and development along these lines?" Hmmmmm.....good question. Well, let's see. I'm sure he and grandma were as concerned about the coming nuptials as were many on all sides of our families. I like to think he was concerned about what we would have to go through because he cared about us and not because of any old biases he still carried around in his spirit and mind from challenging experiences he himself had to endure in places he lived and his own upbringing in Mercer county. I can assuredly tell you he never offered us words of discouragement personally, only words of encouragement and affirmation. What he might have shared with some of you about our situation when we weren't around, I cannot speak to.

There are some values I hold very dear. These include:

the importance of being civil to others in conversation face-to-face and behind their backs
inclusiveness always first solution and exclusion last choice
 acceptance of all people
 exploring ideas with an open mind
 science and religion are not in conflict or competition with one another
 tolerance is a worthy personality trait despite how hard it is at times
 there is no one way to do or think about everything
 never fear knowledge but always be cautious of ignorance gained because of reluctance to examine
 too many people have been destroyed physically or emotionally or spiritually because of religious intolerance. There's a lot more grey and a variety of other colors than there is black or white.

I vaguely remember a conversation grandpa and I had once about interpreting scriptures and his being much more open about it than I expected him to be. I remember one of my first images that racism might not be a good thing was learning about grandma Now's work in the migrant camps. Who of us doesn't remember trying to get up before them in the morning only to witness them holding hands and praying or reading the scriptures? I remember talking with grandpa about Odell Barry not being able to get a haircut in Findlay - he wasn't happy about it. (Those interested, I encourage you to google Odell's name and read what great things he has accomplished!) If my memory serves me correct, he served on an ecumenical committee on behalf of his beloved Church of God. He obtained his doctorate at the end of his career.

Would grandpa and grandma Now, or grandpa and grandma Croy or my parents or my teachers or my friends, or my siblings or my cousins, agree with every view I hold? I'm pretty sure not. Would they be proud of the values that helped me come to those positions? I think so. Isn't it amazing that we can all be raised in the same communities, under the same roofs, taught by the same teachers, have similar experiences in life, in the same faith, in similar universities, and end up with such a variety of beliefs about life, etc. "We are family!" I love you and am prepared for stares, glares or smiles.

 




     

No comments:

Post a Comment