Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Beautiful Person: Inside and Out


It was the summer of 1966 - the summer between my junior and senior years in high school (yes, I'm that old!). I was one of the fortunate juniors to be selected to attend the American Legion's Buckeye Boys' State held in Athens, Ohio at Ohio University. It was a  wonderful experience! I met guys from all over the state of Ohio and we had a blast. I was appointed Director of Youth Services (I don't remember the actual title, but that's close), a state position.

One of the things we did, whenever we had the opportunity, was we walked to downtown Athens. The mystique of being future college students filled our young heads and hearts. Many of us had girlfriends back home we missed. The choir director chose Petula Clark's hit single "Downtown" as a choral piece for early in the week. It was serendipitously endorsed by the masses as the theme of the week. We clamored for it to be sung over and over so we could enthusiastically and boisterously chime in whenever the word "DOWNTOWN" was called for in the song - which was often.

The song ends summarizing what it has said several times and ways before:

"The lights are much brighter there
And you may find somebody kind to help and understand you
Someone who is just like you and needs a gentle hand to
Guide them along
So maybe I'll see you there
We can forget all our troubles, forget all our cares
So go downtown
Things will be great when you're downtown
Don't wait a minute more, downtown
Everything is waiting for you, downtown
Downtown (downtown), Downtown (downtown),
Downtown (downtown), Downtown (downtown)"

The memory of that experience came to me after hearing a different Petula Clark song the other day while Dorothy and I were listening to the sixties station on our Sirrius car radio. We were returning from a few days in Amish Country in Holmes County, Ohio. We  had gone there for a few days with my sister, Phyllis, and her husband, Tim. We stayed one night at the Inn at Honey Run, something we had talked of doing several times over the years. It finally happened because Dorothy gave it to me as a Christmas' gift.

While being with Phyllis and Tim was wonderful and the Inn at Honey Run and the landscape, etc. were beautiful, it wasn't the best three days for me. I was physically uncomfortable. In fact, we departed for home a little earlier than planned. We were on I-71 just below Mansfield when the song came on - Petula Clark singing "My Love":

"My love is warmer than the warmest sunshine
Softer than a sigh
My love is deeper than the deepest ocean
Wider than the sky
My love is brighter than the brightest star
That shines every night above
And there is nothing in this world
That can ever change my love"

It brought tears to my eyes. Petula Clark's music isn't supposed to bring tears to your eyes - that light, bouncy style suggest that joy and smiles are the order of the day. And normally, that would be the case.

And then, Dorothy's hand was going for the channel changer and I didn't have to look at her to know, but I did look, and sure enough there were tears coming down her cheeks as well. We were crying because the words were true - our love for each other is warmer, softer, deeper, wider, and brighter than all of God's awesome creation! And there is nothing that will ever change that. The tears though were because of the pain we are experiencing as our reality changes - not our love, but the way we get to experience and share that love and the knowing that our physical connection is going to end sooner than we want.

Those of you who know Dorothy already know what I'm going to say next to be true. She is one of the most beautiful people in the world - physically, spiritually, emotionally, socially, personally, intellectually. She's a woman full of grace, love, compassion, understanding. She's a harmonizer - a woman who wants peace all around her. And somehow, I was fortunate enough to meet her and got to accompany her on a most amazing marital journey through life. And now, she's also my caregiver - not a role I wish for her, but one she tenderly assumes. I am grateful and in love with her more than words can ever describe!

Oh yeah, and she's a pretty awesome mother and grandmother as well!!!!!

Peace and God's blessings on you all!



1 comment:

  1. She has always been one of my favorite people. I am sharing the tears, because I have know you for 30 plus years, so know how you have lived your ups and downs together. I am watching my parents having many of the same emotions.

    ReplyDelete