Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What to do?

What to write about? I've been mulling around in my head some thoughts related to the movie 42, the story of Branch Rickey's and Jackie Robinson's courageous journey together opening up Major League Baseball. I've also been contemplating how to talk about my experience with drugs interacting with one another with which I dealt a couple of weeks ago - causing me to cancel a trip to DC to advocate for ALS research dollars. And then, there's gun safety/control, the lack of civility among our politicians, corporate profit/greed, and innumerable other topics. I'll probably get back to a few of the above in the coming weeks. But, today my thoughts revolve around the Moore, Oklahoma tornado and the tragedy it has thrust upon us.

"I want to throw some things in my van and head for Oklahoma." There was a day when I really would have been tempted to do just that. In fact, a few years ago I was thinking that might be something I could do for the first few years after I retired - you know, before the physical limitations took control of my life. Thank goodness there are those who are able to respond in this way today and are doing so!

I've been watching quite a bit of the media coverage and pondering the different roles people are playing. I mean, wow! Leading the way were those first responders - neighbors who poured scared out of their own storm cellars and immediately started looking for others in need of help, people from the area rushing into the bowels of hell hoping against all odds to be able to rescue those still alive but trapped in the twisted rubble, knowing full well they might come across something that would turn them inside out. A governor, mayor, police chief, fire chief, President Obama, FEMA exec, etc., offering words of encouragement and hope while rolling up their sleeves readying for the next important phases of cooperating to get people prepared for the hard physical and emotional work ahead. And at the same time, in preparation for providing the basic immediately needed resources of food, water, shelter, and comfort, the Red Cross and the trained and experienced faith-based disaster relief organizations are there or on their way.

So, while watching all of this I began to ponder anew the question that haunts me from this vantage point of my existence: "What can I do?" "What can any of us do, right now?" Well, we know from past experience that there will be a day for physical labor but not now. They don't need us to throw a bunch of stuff in our vans and head to Oklahoma and add to the confusion and congestion. Most of us need to stay out of the way for awhile. We know that it's not time to empty our full closets of clothes we no longer want or need.

The truth of the matter is that what most of us are going to be able to do is quite simply to be prepared to open our purses and billfolds and checkbooks. There was a time when I was somewhat critical of people who gave money instead of getting involved personally. I now know and more fully appreciate the tremendously important role of those of us who can give to be generous with our gifts. Besides writing a post here and there, it is what a person like me can do. Our gifts will go to UMCOR - United Methodist Committee on Relief - because I know 100% of what I give goes directly to the relief effort because we've already underwritten the administrative costs through other giving. OK, done with the commercial. The important thing is that we all get ready to give through whatever channel we trust.

But, there's another important role we all can play and that is we can pray. We can pray our corporate efforts will provide the necessary resources - that people will be available to hug and cry with those in need of such ministries of compassion - that a spirit of cooperation will guide the combined efforts of the various relief organizations - and, oh so much more. Do you mind if I offer a word or two that may sound a bit preachy? Please, please may we not be silent when some of our simpleton religious types attempt to claim this natural disaster is some statement/judgement by God about something God is unhappy about! My concern is not about protecting God's reputation but about protecting innocent people from having to put up with unnecessary and inappropriate pain.

Peace, friends!    

No comments:

Post a Comment